Napoli manager Carlo Ancelotti has
indicated that goalkeeper David Ospina has a future with the Serie A outfit
beyond the current campaign. The Colombia international has made 11 appearances
in the Serie A since his season-long loan move from Arsenal in the summer but
his future has come under question with Alex Meret competing with him for the
number one role.
Speaking to reporters, Ancelotti clarified that the Colombian has a future with the Naples outfit regardless of the games he plays from now and the end of the season. He added that Ospina should have started for the midweek Europa League week game but a minor illness meant that he was dropped to the bench, he said: “Ospina was meant to play on Thursday in the Europa League, but wasn’t feeling up to it, so I switched things around and used him [against Torino] instead. Ospina will remain at Napoli next season, regardless of how many games he plays.”
Elsewhere, Ancelotti spoke about the
frustration with the recent run of league results after the team drew 0-0 for
the second game running despite dominating the proceedings, he added: “We play
very well, but we are not able to score the goals that we should score. In a
match like this you are supposed to win for the way you performed. But if we
didn’t win, we can’t put the blame on anyone else but ourselves, because in two
matches [against Fiorentina and Torino] we had 18 chances and we didn’t score a
With the stalemate, the Naples outfit appear
very much out of the title race with 13 points separating from league leaders
Juventus. Nonetheless, they could still end up with potential silverware from
the Europa League where they are among the favourites to reach at least the
semi-final stage of the competition. The Naples outfit secured a comfortable
3-1 triumph over FC Zurich during the away leg of the round of 32 stage.
Italy manager Roberto Mancini has said that
Mario Balotelli can make another comeback to the national team, if he can
produce consistent performance with new club Marseille. The marksman previously
featured for Italy at the Nations League last year but he appears determined to
find a way to the Azzurri after switching clubs during
the winter transfer window.
Speaking to reporters, Mancini indicated
that Balotelli can make a comeback with the Azzurri for the upcoming
internationals, provided he can find the consistency with the scoring, he said:
“We haven’t lost sight of anyone. Mario is part of the group.He knows that
well and he also knows that it depends on him, not me. So far he’s played
little. [On Sunday] he played only his second game in months. “But if he scores
consistently between now and the end of March, maybe he could come back.”
Balotelli had failed to find the scoresheet in 10 appearances for Nice during the ongoing campaign and he found himself out of favour under Patrick Vieira at one stage. As such, he decided to terminate his contract to make the switch to Les Phoceens and the move has certainly worked out with him scoring in two of his three appearances.
Meanwhile, veteran star Fabio Quagliarella
has been called up to training camp ahead of the selection for the
internationals next month and Mancini has not ruled out the marksman’s comeback
despite him turning 36 earlier in the year, he added: “He deserves to be
here, despite his age. He is playing well, scoring goals and is one of the
top-scorers [in Serie A]. He has always been a very strong player. “But he
himself knows well that he may not be the future of the team.”
Quagliarella may be approaching the final years
of his professional career but he had gone head-to-head with Cristiano Ronaldo
in the scoring charts and he has netted 16 goals during the league campaign.
The veteran recently broke a Serie A scoring record after netting for 11
Former Serie A winner Antonio Di Gennaro
has said that Inter Milan can’t afford to lose the services of Mauro Icardi in
the near future unless they are able to recruit a replacement with the same
level of pedigree. The Nerazzurri captain currently has more than two years
remaining on his existing deal but his future has still come under scrutiny
with the tempting £96m release clause inserted into his contract.
Speaking to RMC Sport, Di Gennaro suggested
that the Nerazzurri would find it difficult to replace Icardi, given players of
the same capacity would command significant wages. He added that the San Siro
outfit should seek to commit the Argentine to a long-term deal with the
economic demands of the striker being within the affordable range.
He told: “If you want to replace someone like him then Inter would need a player of the same level who would have a very big salary. I think that a club that is planning very well like Inter cannot lose someone like Icardi. Inter has it in their mind to keep Icardi and I think there is not so much of a gap on the economic level. If everyone has the same will and agreement can be found.”
Icardi’s release clause has certainly kept
the likes of Chelsea and Real Madrid interested over the past few months and
this has increased the urgency from Inter’s end to resolve the marksman’s
future. Still, they have not been able to find the breakthrough with the
player’s wife and agent and the next few months could give an indication over
the progress made.
Icardi has not enjoyed the same vein of form as
the previous campaign but he has nonetheless contributed nine goals in the
Serie A including a few late winners. The striker’s consistency has also caught
the eye of Argentina of late with manager Lionel Scaloni regularly calling him
upfor international friendlies.
French midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko has
admitted that he is open to remaining with AC Milan beyond the conclusion of
the ongoing campaign. The 24-year-old joined the Rossoneri on a season-long
loan from Chelsea during the summer but his beginning was far from impressive
with manager Gennaro Gattuso questioning his abilities with the ball.
However, the Frenchman has since made impressive progress at the heart of the midfield amid the club’s injury crisis at the centre of the park and he has already made 20 appearances during the first half of the season. Speaking to Milan News, the former Monaco man has acknowledged that he is pleased to have made progress with the Rossoneri after enduring a difficult start where his future with the club was questioned.
He added that he is pleased to commit his long-term future to the Rossoneri, although the final decision has to be taken by the San Siro giants, who have the option to buy him at the end of the season, he told: “I don’t think anything special has changed. I’ve carried on training and working hard, and when you do that things change. I’m happy because I’m playing well with the team. The future? I’m happy here but it’s not my decision, it’s Milan and Chelsea’s. We’ll talk at the end of the season to see what we can do.”
Meanwhile, Milan ended the calendar year on a high after securing a 2-1 comeback triumph over SPAL at the San Siro. The Rossoneri had recently gone through some unwanted history after going four winless matches without finding the scoresheet but they managed to put the disappointment to bed against SPAL, where Gonzalo Higuain scored the match-defining goal. With the outcome, the Rossoneri have been able to close the gap on the Champions League positions with just one point separating them fourth-placed Lazio.
Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly has revealed his ambition of winning the Scudetto with the Naples outfit after they failed to do so during the previous campaign. The Serie A outfit were on course to end Juventus’ dominance for the Scudetto last term but their challenge feel apart during the final months which saw them finish second with a six-point deficit.
Despite the outcome, Koulibaly was recently named among the African Player of The Year contenders and speaking about the same, he said: “The most important thing is that I always try to improve so I can show everyone that I can be one of the best defenders in the world. For me, when I scored this goal I was really happy. I really want to win something with Napoli, they give me a lot of love and confidence. I want to give something back to them and I hope it will be the Scudetto.”
Continue reading Kalidou Koulibaly hoping to repay Napoli with Scudetto
Former Chelsea boss Antonio Conte has indicated that he is not in a hurry to return to management. The 48-year-old was recently being fancied to take over the managerial vacancy at Real Madrid but he happened to dismiss the speculation shortly after which caretaker Santiago Scolari was recruited by Real Madrid on a permanent basis.
In an interview with Sky Sports, Conte has suggested that he is prepared to wait for the right opportunity ahead and does not have the immediate thought to returning to management, he said: “For a manager of my level it is better to wait instead of jumping on a train. I prefer to wait for June and to start a path with a new team, a new project. For the moment, I don’t feel the urge to go back to work. Maybe in a two or three months I will feel the desire and I’ll say something different from what I am saying now.”
Continue reading Antonio Conte in no rush to return to management
Napoli manager Carlo Ancelotti has suggested that his side are destined to improve despite making a good start to the Serie A season. The Naples outfit have already acquired nine points from the first four games of the new campaign but Ancelotti has lamented the need for improvement as the season goes along.
Speaking after the 1-0 win over Fiorentina, Ancelotti said: “Napoli are destined to improveand we must do so quickly.We now have a lot of games coming and that will help us. They are all of a high level and all in all we are ready. So many reasons [for the change of formation]. It reduces the defensive role of Insigne. The team can defend well in either system and I’m more used to the other way of playing but I don’t see problems with this. We were solid, compact, and sometimes a bit disjointed and off balance.”
Continue reading Carlo Ancelotti – Napoli are destined to improve
Juventus manager Max Allegri has urged the fans to show patience towards summer signing Cristiano Ronaldo, who failed to score for the second game on the bounce. Miralem Pjanic and Mario Mandzukic found the net during the league clash against Lazio and this ensured that the club picked up the perfect tally of six points from their opening two games.
Speaking after the match, Allegri spoke about the nature of the game whilst stressing that the supporters need to have more patience with Ronaldo, he said: “We rushed things a bit at the start. There was a risk that we could get ahead of ourselves with all the excitement among the fans around Cristiano’s home debut. We needed to show a bit more patience. At times our play is too frenetic and at others we go to sleep, but we need to move the ball more quickly when the opposition tire. That said, we will improve and I’m pleased because this is an important win in our first match against a direct rival.”
Continue reading Juventus boss calls for patience with Cristiano Ronaldo
Manchester City midfielder Ilkay Gundogan has stressed that he has no plans of leaving the Citizens despite the ongoing speculation over his future. The Germany international has been linked with a potential move to Barcelona in recent weeks as they seek a replacement for Andres Iniesta but Gundogan remains content with his club situation.
Speaking to Arab News, Gundogan highlighted that he has two more years remaining on his existing deal and he has no desire to leave the club, unless they decide otherwise, he said: “I have plenty of time on my current contract, two years to go.But it also depends on the club if they want me to stay. Everyone can see and feel I am really happy here.With the way we play, with the people around me, in the city, in the community, I really enjoy it here and really enjoy my life. I’m happy.It was great to win the Premier League title, but there are plenty of things still to achieve.”
Continue reading Ilkay Gundogan has no plans to leave Manchester City
AS Roma striker Edin Dzeko is pleased to have played an influential role in his side’s progress to the semi-final stage of the Champions League. The Giallorossi clinched a shock 3-0 win over Barcelona in the second leg of their quarter-final tie, and this ensured their progress to the final four of the elite competition on the away-goal rule.
Speaking after the game, the Bosnian was happy to have snubbed a move to Chelsea during the winter transfer window in order to prolong his stay in Rome, he said: “It wasn’t easy, but I stayed here and am very happy to be here. I think the club is glad, too. Let’s not talk about [the move]. Money doesn’t matter. This was the best, but even better may well be yet to come. It proved we can play against anyone, as Barcelona are such a strong side. We put three goals past them and could have had more. I have never seen Barcelona struggle so much. We pressed them constantly from the first minute.” Continue reading Edin Dzeko Pleased To Have Stayed With AS Roma After Barcelona Shock